The Leadership Institute was designed to foster new leadership in organized dentistry through an intensive list of activities and meetings. The program provides an opportunity for WSDA members to gain an understanding of organized dentistry at the State level.
Participants will be paired with WSDA Board members who will shepherd them through several activities tailored to developing emerging leaders from within our membership. Mentors and participants will be encouraged to meet privately during the year to discuss perspectives, leadership issues and questions, and to further enhance the collaborative nature of the leadership process. The programming goal is intended to educate and illuminate the leadership process, without overwhelming participants with too many activities. During the year, all program costs will be paid by WSDA, including airfare, hotels, meals and transportation.
Participants attend the following events throughout the year:
- Association Background/Past Presidents Roundtable Discussion (January 13, 8am-3pm: WSDA Office) : Participants and mentors will spend the morning meeting with the Association’s senior staff and receive a complete background on WSDA, WDIA, DentPAC and the WSDA Foundation. The afternoon will be spent with selected Past Presidents to discuss how they became involved in WSDA and what they personally gained through the experience. This will include an extensive question and answer period.
- Dental Action Day (the evening of January 31 & all day February 1: Olympia): Participants will attend Dental Action Day (2/1), including a legislator meet & greet the night before. During DAD, participants and their mentors will meet with legislators and their staff to discuss issues important to organized dentistry. In the past, these meetings have played a vital role in the outcome of important legislation affecting everything from scope of practice to Medicaid funding.
- Committee Meeting of Participants Choice (WSDA Office): Participants have the opportunity to choose one committee meeting (PNDC - March 24, Government Affairs/DentPAC - May TBD, or Budget & Finance - August 25) to attend with their mentor.
- Board of Directors Meeting (May 5: WSDA Office): Attend the Board of Directors meeting to gain an understanding of issues affecting organized dentistry and to observe how the Board handles formal business.
- House of Delegates (September 14-16: Stevenson, WA): Attend House of Delegates as an alternate, if not already a delegate. This will close the circle on the year. Participants should walk away with an understanding of the WSDA’s activities and decision-making process.
Application Period is Now Closed
Past Graduates of the Leadership Institute